Makalu Base Camp Trek is an awe-inspiring journey that takes you to the foot of the fifth-highest mountain in the world, Mount Makalu. Located in the eastern part of Nepal, this trek offers a unique combination of cultural and natural beauty, making it an ideal adventure for nature lovers and adventure enthusiasts alike.
One of the highlights of the Makalu Base Camp Trek Itinerary is the chance to visit the Makalu Barun National Park. Established in 1992, the park covers an area of 2,330 square km and is home to a rich diversity of flora and fauna, including rare and endangered species like the red panda and the snow leopard. In addition to wildlife, the park also boasts a spectacular landscape of glaciers, waterfalls, and pristine forests. Aside from the spectacular views, the Makalu Base Camp Trek also offers a rich cultural experience. You will pass through several traditional Sherpa villages, providing an opportunity to learn about the unique culture and traditions of the Sherpa people. The Sherpa people are known for their hospitality and warmth, and it is not uncommon for them to invite trekkers into their homes for a cup of tea or a meal.
The Makalu Base Camp Trek is a challenging trek that requires a good level of physical fitness. The trail can be difficult at times, especially at high elevations, but the reward of reaching the base camp is worth the effort. The trek is best done in the spring (April-May) and autumn (September-November) when the weather is mild and the skies are clear. Despite its remote location, the Makalu Base Camp Trek is well-equipped with lodges and tea houses that offer basic accommodation and food services. This makes the trek accessible for people of all ages and levels of fitness, making it a great option for both first-time trekkers and experienced adventurers.
19 Days Makalu Base Camp Trek Itinerary will start from Kathmandu after taking a domestic flight to Tumlingtar, a small town located in the Sankhuwasabha district of Nepal. From Tumlingtar, the trail gradually ascends through the lush forests of rhododendron and bamboo, passing by the small villages of Chichila and Num. The trail then crosses several suspension bridges over the Arun River, providing spectacular views of the river and the surrounding valleys. Along the Makalu Base Camp Trek Route, trekkers will get an opportunity to interact with the local communities, learn about their customs and traditions, and gain a deeper understanding of the region’s unique culture.
As you progress further up the Trail, the landscape changes dramatically, transforming into a barren and rocky terrain. Makalu Base Camp Trekking Trail then passes through the Shipton La Pass and Keke La Pass, which offers panoramic views of the peaks in the Makalu region. The final stretch of the journey via Yangri Kharka, Langmale Kharka, and Shershong will take you to the Makalu Base Camp, located at an elevation of 4,870 meters above sea level. Here, trekkers can stand at the foot of the massive mountain and marvel at its grandeur. Makalu Base Camp Trek then descends into the Barun Valley, a remote and pristine valley surrounded by high peaks following the same route you take to the summit. You will descend down to Num, where you will ride a jeep or bus to Tumlingtar. From Tumlingtar, you will board a domestic flight to Kathmandu, which will officially conclude your Makalu Base Camp Trek Itinerary successfully.
We at Green Valley Nepal Treks and Research Hub are pleased to present our well-planned Makalu Base Camp Trek Detailed Itinerary, which will give you an experience of a lifetime. Booking is now available for 2024 and 2025. Based on your time, budget, and endurance, we are willing to modify this package to meet your requirements. For more questions regarding the Makalu Base Camp Trek Package Cost, please don't hesitate to contact us.
Benefits of Makalu Base Camp Trek Booking with us
- International and Domestic Airport Pickup And Drop off service
- Green Valley Nepal Trek Duffle Bag
- Green Valley Nepal Trek T-Shirt
- Free Makalu Base Camp Trek Map
- An Oximeter to Check Blood Oxygen Saturation Levels.
- Medical Kits - Which May Be Necessary In Certain Cases.
- Free Excess Luggage Storing At Green Valley Nepal Store During The Trek
What You Can Expect from Makalu Base Camp Trek?
The Makalu Base Camp trek is an incredible journey that offers a wide range of experiences for trekkers. Here's what you can expect from this trek:
- The Makalu Base Camp trek offers stunning views of the Himalayas, including the fifth-highest peak in the world, Mount Makalu, and a range of other majestic peaks. The view from the Shipton La Pass and the Makalu Base Camp is particularly breathtaking and is sure to leave you in awe.
- The trek passes through several traditional Sherpa villages, providing an opportunity to learn about the unique culture and traditions of the Sherpa people. You will have the chance to interact with the friendly locals, try authentic local food, and experience the way of life in these remote mountain communities.
- The Makalu Base Camp Trek takes you through the Barun Valley, a remote and pristine valley surrounded by high peaks. The valley is home to a wide range of wildlife, including rare species of birds, mammals, and reptiles.
- The landscape of the Makalu Base Camp Trek is diverse and constantly changing. You'll pass through lush forests of rhododendron and bamboo, cross several suspension bridges over the Arun River, and traverse a barren and rocky terrain.
- The Makalu Base Camp trek is a challenging trek that requires a good level of physical fitness. The trail can be difficult at times, especially at high elevations, but the reward of reaching the base camp is worth the effort.
- The Makalu Base Camp is situated at an elevation of 5000 meters, making it an excellent place to acclimatize before attempting the summit of Makalu.
- The Makalu Base Camp trek is less crowded compared to other popular treks in Nepal, making it a great option for those who are looking for a more peaceful and solitary experience.
Is Makalu Base Camp Trek Suitable For You?
The Makalu Base Camp Trek is a challenging adventure that requires a good level of physical fitness and mental preparation. Here are a few factors to consider when determining if this trek is suitable for you:
- The trek involves long days of hiking at high elevations, which can be physically demanding. It's important to have a good level of physical fitness and be prepared for the challenging terrain.
- The Makalu Base Camp is situated at an elevation of 5000 meters, and trekkers will need to acclimatize to the high altitude. Those who have a history of altitude sickness should be cautious and consider seeking medical advice before embarking on the trek.
- The Makalu Base Camp Trek is a challenging trek that requires a certain level of experience and confidence in hiking. If you are a first-time trekker, it's recommended that you consider a less demanding trek before attempting the Makalu Base Camp.
- The trek can take anywhere from 12 to 21 days, depending on the route you take and your pace. It's important to have enough time and budget to complete the trek and enjoy the experience to the fullest.
- It is important to consider your personal preferences when deciding if the Makalu Base Camp Trek is suitable for you. If you enjoy challenging adventures and have a love for the outdoors, this trek is likely to be a great fit for you.
Preparation for Makalu Base Camp Trek
Preparation is key to having a successful and enjoyable Makalu Base Camp Trek. Here are some important things to consider when preparing for the trek:
- Physical training: To prepare for the physical demands of the trek, it's important to engage in regular physical activity and exercise in the months leading up to the trek. This could include hiking, running, or cycling, as well as strength training to build endurance and resilience.
- Altitude acclimatization: The Makalu Base Camp is located at an elevation of 5000 meters, so it's important to properly acclimatize to the high altitude before embarking on the trek. You can do this by gradually increasing your elevation exposure, such as by hiking at high elevations for several days before the trek.
- Gear and equipment: It's important to have the right gear and equipment for the trek, including appropriate footwear, clothing, and personal gear. You can rent or purchase most of the gear and equipment in Kathmandu or in the local markets along the trekking route.
- Travel and medical insurance: Make sure you have adequate travel and medical insurance to cover any unexpected events during the trek. This will give you peace of mind and ensure you have access to the medical care you need in case of an emergency.
- Mental preparation: The Makalu Base Camp Trek can be challenging, both physically and mentally. It's important to be prepared for the demands of the trek and to have a positive attitude and a sense of adventure.
- Research and planning: Finally, research and plan your trek carefully, taking into account your experience level, physical fitness, and the time of year. Choose a reputable trekking company or guide, and ensure that they have a good safety record.
Makalu Base Camp Trek Cost 2024 and 2025
Makalu Base Camp Trek cost start from USD 1695 and reach up to USD 2195 per person.
Green Valley Nepal Treks offers the Makalu Base Camp Trekking Cost based on group size. Please flow for the group price details:
|No. of Pax
|2 to 5
|6 to 10